2007 Hot Docs Awards Archive
2007 AWARD RECIPIENTS
Best International Feature Award
LOSERS AND WINNERS
D: Ulrike Franke, Michael Loeken
Sponsored by CBC International Sales and comes with a $5000 cash prize, courtesy of Hot Docs.
Special Jury Prize - International Feature
WITHOUT THE KING
D: Michael Skolnik
Sponsored by A&E Television and the Ontario Media Development Corporation.
Best Canadian Feature Award
THE BODYBUILDER AND I
D: Bryan Friedman
Sponsored by documentary the Documentary Organization of Canada and comes with a $5,000 cash prize courtesy of documentary.
Special Jury Prize - Canadian Feature
DRIVEN BY DREAMS
D: Serge Giguère
Sponsored by the NFB and comes with a $5,000 FAP prize courtesy of the NFB.
Best Mid-Length Documentary Award
FORGIVENESS: STORIES FOR OUR TIME
D: Johanna Lunn Sponsored by Canada Council for the Arts and Playback.
Best Short Documentary Award
D: Arturo Cabanas
2007 Hot Docs Outstanding Achievement Award
Presented to Heddy Honigmann by Hot Docs Board of Directors
Don Haig Award
Presented to Toronto’s Hubert Davis (HARDWOOD) Awarded by the Don Haig Foundation, the prize includes a $10,000 cash prize.
The Lindalee Tracey Award
Includes a $5000 cash prize.
Doc Mogul Award
OMNI Prize for Best Third Language/Ethno-Cultural Rendezvous Pitch
1001 PERFORMANCES, pitched by Josh Miller of Panacea Entertainment
Includes $10,000 in development money via the OMNI Diversity Television Independent Producers Fund.
CBC Newsworld Camera Prize
SOUNDS LIKE A REVOLUTION, pitched by Summer Preney of Deltatime Productions Includes a $10,000 camera rental package for the best Rendezvous pitch received by the CBC.
NBC News Archive Prize
GRANNY POWER, pitched by Isabelle Couture of Les Films de L’Isle.
For the best pitch at Rendezvous, and awards $2000 worth of rights for footage licensed by NBC News Archives.
Hot Docs Audience Award
D: Sean Fine, Andrea Nix Fine; USA
Hot Docs Audience Top Ten Favourites
- WAR/DANCE (D: Sean Fine, Andrea Nix Fine; USA; 105 min)
- WE ARE TOGETHER (D: Paul Taylor; UK; 86 min)
- GARBAGE WARRIOR (D: Oliver Hodge; UK; 87 min)
- THE SUICIDE TOURIST (D: John Zaritsky; Canada; 90 min)
- FORBIDDEN LIE$ (D: Anna Broinowski; Australia; 107 min)
- NANKING (D: Bill Guttentag, Dan Sturman; USA; 89 min)
- CITY IDOL (D: Arturo Perez Torres; Canada; 90 min)
- HEAR AND NOW (D: Irene Taylor Brodsky; USA; 84 min)
- CHICHESTER’S CHOICE (D: Simonee Chichester; Canada; 64 min)
- FOREVER (D: Heddy Honigmann; Netherlands; 95 min)
HOT DOCS FESTIVAL JURY
- Mark Achbar, Filmmaker, Canada
- Claas Danielsen, Discovery Campus, Germany
- Ibtisam Mara’ana, Filmmaker, Israel
- Judith Helfand, Filmmaker, USA
- Eugene Jarecki, Filmmaker, USA
- Amir Labaki, It’s All True Documentary Festival, Brazil
Short and Mid-Length Films
- Simon Houpt, Journalist, The Globe and Mail, Canada
- Ivana Milosevic, Institute for Documentary Film, Czech Republic
- Alexandre Trudeau, Filmmaker, Canada