Hot Docs Deal Maker
Hot Docs Deal Maker is a one-on-one pitch-meeting program for producers seeking financing from the international marketplace. Hot Docs Deal Maker will select 50 of the most compelling projects submitted for these valuable meetings with key decision makers, commissioning editors and other film financers, as well as substantial online profile and promotion.
Registered delegates can apply via the Online Community
2014 Submissions are closed.
Pass Level Required: All-Access Pass
Hot Docs Deal Maker Format
Hot Docs Deal Maker will select approximately 50 projects from those submitted based on:
- Exceptionally compelling, exclusive and illuminating material
- Brilliant storytelling
- Creative and exemplary craft
- Commercial and international appeal
- Suitability for decision makers’ mandates and key requirements, and relevance to broadcast channels and slots
All selected projects will be featured online. A downloadable PDF of the Deal Maker Project Catalogue will also be available to All-Access Pass holders.
Producers with selected projects can request meetings with participating decision makers. Hot Docs Deal Maker will also further match projects with decision makers. Decision makers will review meeting request and accept those that are most appropriate to their mandates.
Deal Maker meetings will take place during the Hot Docs’ conference and market. Decision makers will commit to an allocated block of time over a three-day period during which a series of 15-minute pitch meetings will be scheduled.
Tuesday, April 29 (morning and afternoon sessions)
Wednesday, April 30 (afternoon session)
Thursday, May 1 (afternoon session)
Applications are now open. Registered delegates can apply via the Online Community
Before applying, applicants must be registered with a 2014 All-Access Pass. There is no additional fee to participate.
Projects can be in a development, production or post-production stage. We do not accept completed works.
You will be required to provide a trailer or footage, maximum length of three minutes.
Applicants may apply with projects in any genre of documentary or factual.
We accept projects from all countries and territories.
You can apply with up to TWO projects.
Deal Maker welcomes:
- Feature-length docs
- Television docs
- Interactive work
- Cross-platform media
We especially encourage the submission of smart science and smart history projects.
How to Apply
Registered delegates can apply via the Online Community.
Information required in the application form is:
- Personal Contact Information
- Previous Credits (Optional)
Along with the following project information:
- Working Title
- Estimated length (in minutes)
- Country of production
- Estimated budget
- Confirmed financing
- Stage of project
- “I am looking for:” the following funding opportunities
- Genre of project
- In which territories is your film NOT available? (Only fill out if applicable.)
- One-line description
- One-page synopsis
You will be required to provide a link to a trailer that can be streamed online, including:
- Trailer URL
Please note: Trailer must be less than three minutes in length.
Terms and Conditions
- All producers and other pitch-team members representing selected projects at Deal Maker meetings must be registered with Hot Docs All-Access Passes. If a pitch-team member is not registered with an All-Access Pass, s/he will not be able to participate.
- Hot Docs accepts no liability for project inaccuracies in the Deal Maker Project Catalogue or other published material.
- The scheduling of meetings is at the discretion of the Hot Docs Industry Programs Department.
- If your application is successful, you agree to attend Hot Docs 2013 for the duration of Hot Docs Deal Maker. Failure to do so may result in your project being withdrawn.
- The decision of the Deal Maker Selection Committee is final. No correspondence will be entered into regarding decisions. Feedback is not guaranteed for unsuccessful applicants.
- Hot Docs Industry Programs Department reserves the right to change the guidelines or processes at any time and without notification.
- Hot Docs Industry Programs Department will not take rights or liabilities in selected projects.
- Projects participating in Hot Docs Deal Maker are required to acknowledge the program’s support through the placement of Hot Docs’ logo in the project’s final credits.
- Application to, and participation in, Hot Docs Deal Maker implies unconditional acceptance of these guidelines.
Hot Docs Deal Maker is generously sponsored by Realscreen. Additional support is provided by Telefilm Canada and the Ontario Media Development Corporation.
- Questions? Contact Deal Maker Chloe Sosa-Sims