Submit a Film
Film submissions for Hot Docs 2013 official program are closed.
Please consult the submissions FAQ page for additional information.
HOT DOCS 2013 FILM SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- PROGRAMMING, CATEGORIES & AWARDS, SELECTION
- FESTIVAL SUBMISSION/ MARKET FEES AND DEADLINES
- ENTRY PROCEDURES
- SUBMIT YOUR FILM
- GENERAL INFORMATION
PROGRAMMING, CATEGORIES & AWARDS, SELECTION
Hot Docs accepts Canadian and international documentaries of all lengths and subject matter.
All Hot Docs screening programs are curated and all submissions will be fully considered by Hot Docs’ programming team.
For the purposes of eligibility and awards consideration, Hot Docs uses the following definitions:
- Feature Length: 60 min. or longer
- Mid-Length: 30 to 59 min.
- Short: under 30 min.
Country of Production/Submission Country
- Canadian Submissions: All films produced in Canada [more info].
- International Submissions: All films produced outside of Canada.
- Country of Production: the country from which most of the financing for the film was received and the residence of the films key crew members i.e. the director(s) and producer(s). This is not necessarily the same as the shooting location.
Categories & Awards
Hot Docs features two juried competition programs, Canadian Spectrum and International Spectrum, and several non-competitive programs]..
Selected feature-length films in the Spectrum programs are eligible for jury prizes. All selected short and mid-length films (except those in retrospective categories) will be considered by the jury.
All feature films selected for Hot Docs, with the exception of those screening in retrospective programs, are eligible for the People’s Choice Award.
2013 Made in… Program
At the 2013 Festival, Hot Docs will present a program showcasing recent films from a selected country or region. The country or region for this Made In… program will be announced in November 2012.
Applicants will be notified by email by end of March 2013 if their work has been selected.
Final programming, categorization and slotting of films will be determined by the Festival programming team. Their decision is final. Successful applicants will receive this information in their official invitation.
No screeners or application materials will be returned. Do not send film prints, master tapes or other originals.
- must have been completed after January 1, 2012;
- cannot have been screened publicly in Toronto prior to the 2013 Festival - this includes broadcast versions of any length;
- must be Toronto premieres (i.e. must not have been screened or broadcast in Toronto before the Festival);
- must be in English, subtitled in English or English versioned (non-English language films may be submitted with an English transcript; however, if selected for Hot Docs, it must be subtitled or dubbed into English at the applicant’s expense);
Hot Docs does not accept resubmissions or rough cuts from previous years. If you have any specific questions please contact us.
FESTIVAL AND THE DOC SHOP SUBMISSION/ MARKET FEES AND DEADLINES
All fees outlined below include:
- submission to the 2013 Festival for programming consideration;
- submission to The Doc Shop on-site Festival market;
- a 12-month presence on The Doc Shop Online, Hot Docs’ year-round market service for buyers, distributors and festival programmers.
- $33.90 CDN per submission ($30 + $3.90 HST)
Mid- and Feature-Length Films:
- before December 7, 2012: $67.80 CDN per submission ($60 + $7.80 HST)
- before January 11, 2013: $118.65 CDN per submission ($105 + $13.65 HST)
In addition, the Festival submission and market fees covers administrative expenses related to cataloguing, previewing and digitizing each work. Although inclusion in both markets is covered in fees outlined above, you must also opt-in to both of these markets during the submission process.
Submission fees are non-refundable.
To submit your film for consideration, you must complete and submit Hot Docs’ online submission form.
Each film must be submitted as either a Canadian or an international submission. [more info]
Rough/Fine Cuts: The Festival will only accept one cut of each film for programming consideration. If needed, Hot Docs will request an updated version and will contact those applicants directly. [more info]
If interested in The Doc Shop on-site market and The Doc Shop Online, please mark the appropriate boxes noted in the Terms and Conditions section of the entry form.
It is mandatory that you submit two DVDs clearly labeled with the film title for preview screening purposes. All formats and regions are accepted. We do not require a printed version of the online form. Please note the entry form must be submitted to Hot Docs on or before the deadlines outlined above. Submission packages postmarked by the deadline date will be accepted.
All applicants must provide their Visa, American Express (AMEX) or MasterCard information on the entry form.
All submissions must be sent prepaid. The Festival will not accept collect or C.O.D. shipments.
Hot Docs will not assume responsibility for, nor will it accept shipments incurring expenses for terminal charges, duties, taxes or customs brokerage.
Please note: Hot Docs does not accept international shipments via United Parcel Services (UPS) since this courier does not deliver international duty-free shipments to Toronto.
SUBMIT YOUR FILM
Film submissions for Hot Docs 2013 official program are now closed.
Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival
110 Spadina Avenue, Suite 333
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tel: (1) 416-203-2155
Fax: (1) 416-203-0446
Submission guidelines for Hot Docs 2013 are subject to change. Hot Docs reserves the right to rule on all issues not expressly covered in these guidelines.