documentary Channel Accelerator
Accelerate your career with real-world skill development and opportunities within the documentary film, television and digital media industries.
Participants will take part in an intensive Festival-based curriculum and a paid mentorship job training opportunity.
The goal of the program is to foster a diverse new generation of Canadian documentary filmmakers by providing real-world skills development and economic opportunities within the documentary film, television and digital media industries.
(Vancouver, British Columbia)
- Hot Docs All-Access Pass ($800 value), with access to the Hot Docs Forum, screenings, social events, and conference sessions
- Private intensive professional development, career planning, and skill development sessions
- Specialized workshops on fundamentals, including storytelling, funding and producing, the art of pitching, and promotion and distribution
- A customized Hot Docs conference itinerary
- Access to the Hot Docs Online Community for one year
- One Hot Docs Program Guide, Industry Guide and delegate bag
- Free travel to and accommodation while in Toronto
- Mentorship and work training opportunities
Festival and Lab
On April 29 and 30, fellows will participate in a two day private lab during the 2017 Hot Docs Festival. During this lab, fellows will hear from a variety of industry experts and will engage in hands-on workshops and activities such as creating short documentaries. Fellows will then participate in the 2017 Hot Docs conference week attending the Hot Docs Forum, industry panels and sessions, networking events and screenings.
Mentorship and Training Opportunity
Following the Festival, all participants will be paired with a successful Canadian documentary production company located within their geographic region. The participant will shadow their mentor’s day-to-day work, with significant focus placed on reaching the participant’s personal goals and outcomes for the experience. The work schedule will be determined by each individual placement and production schedule, placements will be approximately 200 hours in length. All participants will receive an honorarium.
- 50% discount for Hot Docs Festival accreditation for a 10-year period
- A playlist in The Doc Shop with the option for program alumni to submit up to 10 titles for inclusion over a 10-year period
- A listing of past participants in the Hot Docs Program Guide and on the Hot Docs website
For a list of past participants, mentors and juries, please visit our archives.
In partnership with
Additional support provided by Bell Fund.