Festival DocX Submissions
DocX is an interactive and immersive documentary program for works that are exhibited through installations and live events during the Hot Docs Festival.
The below guidelines are from the 2016 Festival, and are for reference only.
DocX will connect Hot Docs audiences with innovative projects that demonstrate the future of documentary storytelling while breaking conventions with artistic media and technology.
- must have been completed after January 1, 2015
- Toronto premieres preferred (i.e. cannot have been screened publicly in Toronto prior to the 2016 Festival) but exceptions may be made
- must be in English, subtitled in English or English versioned (non-English language films may be submitted with an English transcript; however, if selected for Hot Docs, it must be subtitled or dubbed into English at the applicant’s expense)
Questions? Contact us at [email protected].
Hot Docs accepts Canadian and international immersive and interactive documentary projects of all expressions and subject matter.
All Hot Docs screening programs are curated and all submissions will be fully considered by Hot Docs’ programming team.
For the purposes of eligibility and awards consideration, Hot Docs uses the following definitions:
Country of Production and Submission Categories
Submissions to the Festival are divided into two categories:
- Canadian Submissions: Projects produced in Canada or directed by Canadian filmmakers
- International Submissions: Projects produced outside of Canada and directed by non-Canadians
Country of Production The origin of the majority of the project’s financing and/or key crew members, which can also include the location of significant production support.
Rough Cut/Beta Version The Festival will only accept one version of each project for programming consideration. If needed, Hot Docs will request an updated version and will contact those applicants directly.
Hot Docs will select three to five immersive and interactive projects. Applicants will be notified of programming decisions via email by the end of March 2016. Successful applicants will receive this information in their official invitation.
No application materials will be returned. Please do not send film prints, technological devices, master tapes or other originals.
Step 1: Online Submission Form
To submit your film for consideration, you must complete and submit Hot Docs’ online submission form.
There is no submission fee.
Step 2: Send Us Your Visual materials
If you would like to submit your visual materials via an online link you can either:
- Put the link and password in the online submission form under the section titled “Online Submission.”
- Email [email protected] with the name of your project, link, and password once you have submitted the online form. Please state that it is an interactive/immersive submission for DocX.
Please note: The password to your film link must not change during our programming process. All links must be received by the DocX deadline.
Do not mail anything to Hot Docs concerning your DocX submission.
Submission guidelines for Hot Docs are subject to change. Hot Docs reserves the right to rule on all issues not expressly covered in these guidelines.