Hot Docs Short Film Pitch Submissions
Six Canadian filmmaking teams will have the chance to pitch their short doc projects to a live audience and judging panel at the Hot Docs Festival.
A total of $75,000 is up for grabs, courtesy of BravoFACT. First place will receive $30,000, second place will receive $25,000 and third place will receive $20,000.
Applications Open: March 1, 2017 Application Deadline: March 27, 2017 Pass Level Required: Conference, Conference and Networking, or All-Access Pass
- Only Canadian projects are eligible.
- Only independent production companies are eligible.
- Project must be a documentary currently in development or production.
- Applications are open to registered Festival delegates with Conference, Conference and Networking, or All-Access passes.
- Project runtime must not exceed 15 minutes (not including title or credits).
The following information must be provided in the application:
- Primary Contact Information
- Title, genre, language, date of principle photography, project date of release, duration
- A short synopsis (2000 characters)
- Detailed treatment
- A proposed budget
- Key creative credits and short bios
- Trailer, research footage or scene selects (optional)
Applicants are also welcome to submit their idea for bravoFACTUAL. Pitch winners are not eligible for double funding, but all other applicants are free to apply.
CRITERIA FOR SUBMISSIONS
- Applicants at all levels of experience are welcome to apply.
- Applicants with limited experience in documentary production, including research, video storytelling, cinematography, editing, etc. are encouraged to recruit the services of experienced people.
- Releases may be required from on camera participants.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Entries including more than the requested documentation and significantly exceeding the word count will be disqualified.
- Hot Docs Industry Programs and BravoFACTUAL’s decision is final and individual feedback is not guaranteed if your application is unsuccessful.
- Hot Docs Industry Programs reserves the right to change the guidelines or procedures at any time.
- Budgets must reflect the story’s complexity, specific production elements, any special production techniques (if applicable), required archival footage and/or, music rights, E&O insurance and any other requirements which result from the creative materials.
Applications open via the Online Community on March 3, with a final deadline of March 27, 2017.
- Six finalists will be selected by a committee to participate in the event.
- Selected projects will be notified by April 15, 2017.
- Each of the six pitch teams will be given five minutes to pitch their project in front of a live audience and panel of judges.
- Hot Docs Industry Programs will not take rights or liabilities in projects selected.
- Copyright is retained by the awardee, while Bravo and its affiliated and related services receive the exclusive right of first broadcast, TV or internet, and thereafter non-exclusive broadcast and non-broadcast rights.
- The winner and runner-ups of the Hot Docs Short Film Pitch will be required to credit the Hot Docs Logo and the BravoFACTUAL logo in their final credits.
- Your application and participation implies acceptance of the above terms.